Sunday, June 20, 2010

Guest designer for My Little Sketch Book ~ June 20th


Hello, again! Hope you are having a great weekend and that you got to celebrate those dads!

I am so honored to be guest designing this week for Liz Qualman's My Little Sketch Book.  Thank you, Liz, for having me once again.  Liz is one of my all time favorite sketch designers. Her work is always so dependable and works so well with my usual style. 


Here is Liz's sketch this time. Now, I will admit that this one was more challenging for me because I wanted to interpret it literally. I had decided to scrap some photos of my Dad since today is Father's Day. And the horizontal lines made me think of Old Glory. So I looked for some red, white and blue in my paper collection and came up with some older Basic Grey Boxer that I had bought last year. Underneath I used some navy Bazill cardstock  and a fab die cut paper by Creative Imaginations that I had gotten and set aside for my Dad's album.  Measuring everything took some time .. I am more of an assymetrical kind of gal, so I had to focus on keeping everything straight .. which is so against my nature but is perfect for this layout!

I used my Cricut to cut the frames for my photos (Sentimentals,)  the stars (Wild Card) and the title (Stand and Salute.) Then I added in an old US Navy dimensional sticker for my circular element layered on a scalloped edge circle (Winter Woodlands,)  some ivory trim to the left side and three buttons at the bottom.  Considering that I don't work with these colors very often, I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.  And as I worked with the sketch I began to see more and more ways to use it ... and have plans for some profile photos of my daughter.

Hope you get a chance to try it! You'll be glad you did! Be sure to visit Liz's blog and see what the other guest designers have done!


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful LO!! What a great tribute to your dad, on this special day. And congrats on guest designer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful LO Sandi. Love the papers and your color choices and the cuts and that beautiful lace ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful LO! It's easy to see why you were guest designer - you are very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I love your take on this sketch!!! The Basic Grey worked beautifully!!!!! Those photo frames are just perfect. You did an outstanding job as GDT! congrats...
    Blessings,
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi... I was just over at Liz's blog and saw this!! What a STUNNING LO!! This is a great tribute to your father and his service to this country!! The pictures are sooooo amazing... you are really lucky to have such great ones to scrap!!! As challenging as this sketch was....it made for one fabulous LO!!!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the guest DT again! You did a wonderful job with this layout. I love the blocks of paper! I have a layout coming up and I will draw my inspiration from yours. Such a wonderful tribute to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandi, I actually saw this on her blog today! And I loved it because you used an older BG line, 2 years now I think, and of course, I still haven't parted with my stash, and it's almost July 4th, so time to dig it out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi, congratulations! Love your page, everything is perfect! Love Liz' sketches. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! I love your work with the sketch & the papers are perfect! I especially like your star "cluster"! Great work! tfs;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandi, what a beautiful tribute to your father.. The papers worked out perfectly with your fabulous photos!! This is something your family will cherish for many years to come!!! I would have to say you "Rocked" this challenge gf!!!! Have a wonderful week!! Hugs!!!
    Oh, and congratulations on being GD!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic layout Sandi, wow to those papers..What a great find in your stash..I also think the sketch is perfect for the photos, you have done an outstanding job..
    hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Sandi! I saw your layout over on MLSB site and had to come over to tell you how much I love it! It's so beautiful and so stunning!! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful layout! I love it!
    Congrats on the Guest Design, SUPER fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great lo! and congrats on being the guest designer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi!!!! I love the lo you did!! Great take on the sketch! i really love the pictures!!! And perfect colors!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there!

    What a wonderful blog with incredibly works. You are an amazing creator!!! =) Welcome and visit my blog.

    Hugs Ulrica

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely, Sandi! And I just love this sketch... I'll be printing this one off! Boxer is a great collection for this too... I used Boxer in conjunction with Stand & Salute for a layout of mine and it was perfect! Congrats o being the guest designer!

    ReplyDelete